Durham Truck Accident Lawyer Helping the Injured
Because trucks are so much larger and heavier than passenger vehicles, truck accidents can be terrifying – the force exerted by a vehicle of that size when traveling at speed can cause tremendous damage. As a result, truck accidents typically result in severe injuries, often much more severe than your typical car accident.
However, the size of the truck and the severity of the injuries involved is not what makes these cases unique. If you’ve been injured in a truck accident and need to pursue a claim, you need an attorney experienced in handling truck accident cases who knows how to navigate the complexities of your case. A Durham truck accident lawyer can protect your rights and help you pursue a successful claim for your injuries.
About Negligence in Truck Accident Cases
All drivers have a legal obligation to drive safely at all times, including truck drivers. Many accidents are unintentional but sometimes negligence is a contributing factor to a catastrophic truck accident. Similar to car accident cases, often truck accidents are the result of mistakes by drivers and manufacturers. Speeding, unsafe lane changes, distracted driving and defective parts can contribute to accidents and serious injuries.
Driving commercial trucks requires special training and a specific license because large trucks require a greater distance to stop, are harder to maneuver at speed, and have larger blind spots than your average passenger vehicle. As a result, negligence in a truck accident case arguably should be judged according to a different standard than in a car accident. For example, speeding in a large truck presents a far greater hazard than a speeding passenger vehicle.
Potential Liability in Commercial Vehicle Accident Cases
One of the most complicated aspects of truck accident cases is the fact that there may be more than one party responsible for your injuries:
- The truck driver. The truck driver’s negligence could have contributed to the accident.
- The trucking company. The trucking company is responsible for ensuring their drivers are properly trained and adequately supervised. In addition, they are also responsible for ensuring the truck is properly maintained and is safe to be driven on our roadways.
- The cargo loaders. An unbalanced load can make a truck very difficult to drive safely. The company responsible for loading the truck could have contributed to the crash.
- Other drivers. The truck driver may have been trying to avoid an accident with another driver who was negligent.
Some truck drivers are independent contractors or may own their trucks. These situations can further complicate who may be liable for your accident.
Finally, there may also be multiple insurance companies involved in a truck accident case, which can lead to delays and leave you feeling like you are trapped in the middle of an insurance dispute. An experienced Durham truck accident lawyer can help you navigate these complexities so that your claim gets resolved as quickly as possible.
Durham Truck Accident Lawyer Explains Common Causes of Accidents
As discussed above, many truck accidents are the result of the same unsafe driving behaviors. However, there are some causes that are more prevalent in truck accidents:
- Drowsy driving. Truck drivers spend very long hours behind the wheel and are under a great deal of pressure to make deliveries on time. As a result, driving while fatigued and falling asleep behind the wheel are increasing reasons for truck accidents. Driving while drowsy can cause slowed reaction time, clouded thinking, and poor decision making.
- Lack of training or experience. Driving a large truck requires a specific skill set. As mentioned above, trucking companies are responsible for ensuring their drivers have the necessary training and experience to ensure they can operate the truck safely.
- Mechanical failures. Large trucks are almost constantly on the road and require regular maintenance to ensure they are in good working order. Both drivers and their companies must take the necessary steps to make sure maintenance is performed regularly and any issues are addressed immediately. Failing brakes, old tires, or other problems can result in a catastrophic injury.
Identifying the cause of your accident is critical to pursuing a successful claim. Unfortunately, determining the cause of a truck accident can be quite difficult, and there are multiple factors involved. An experienced Durham truck accident lawyer will review your case and identify the potential causes so that you can determine who may be liable for your injuries.
About North Carolina and Federal Trucking Regulations
Truck drivers and trucking companies are subject to both state and federal trucking laws that govern many aspects of what they do. Intended to keep motorists safe, these laws include the following requirements:
- Rest requirements for drivers
- Maintenance standards
- Weight and size limits
- Requirements for the transportation of hazardous materials
- Commercial driver’s license requirements
Violations of state or federal trucking regulations are compelling evidence that your accident was caused by negligence on the part of the driver or the trucking company, perhaps even both. An experienced truck accident lawyer will know the laws that apply to your case.
Contact a Durham Truck Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident, your future is at stake. You may be unable to work, pay your bills, or support your family. You need someone on your side who knows how to help you get through this.
Founded in 1982, the attorneys at Martin & Jones have decades of experience helping injured people in the Durham area and across the state of North Carolina. Whether in or out of the courtroom, we fight to get you fair compensation for your injuries. If you’d like to discuss your case with a Durham truck accident lawyer, call us at 1-800-662-1234 or complete our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.