About Mike Riley
Mike has been practicing law with Martin & Jones for more than 20 years and his practice focuses on representing individuals suffering from asbestos-related diseases including malignant mesothelioma, asbestos related lung cancer and asbestosis. His clients include workers who were occupationally exposed to asbestos in industrial settings such as power plants, chemical plants, railroads, shipyards, paper mills and other manufacturing facilities. Mike has represented clients from states all over the United States as well as from various provinces in Canada.
The cases have included products liability and wrongful death actions in federal court and various state courts, and workers compensation occupational disease claims before the North Carolina Industrial Commission. The defendants have included asbestos manufacturers, contractors, distributors and employers.
Mike has achieved the highest attorney rating, “AV,” by Martindale-Hubbell, an independent legal services company whose peer-review attorney ratings service is an objective indicator that an attorney has the highest ethical standards and professional ability. He graduated from the University of North Carolina School of Law after graduating from Wake Forest University with a Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics. Mike has been recognized as both a Best Lawyer in America 2019 and as a Super Lawyer 2019.
Mike pursues claims on behalf of clients against various asbestos company bankruptcy administrative claims trusts, and also serves as an arbitrator and member of the trust advisory committee with different trusts.
He lives in Raleigh with his wife and enjoys watching and participating in sports as well as playing music in his band.
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Chapel Hill, NC
- Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
Honors & Awards
- “AV,” by Martindale-Hubbell
- “Best Lawyers in America”, 2018 & 2019
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice
- Hornthal, Riley, Ellis & Maland, Attorney
- Mayer, Brown & Platt, Attorney