How a Wilmington Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
Some accidents are no one’s fault, while others are the result of negligence – the failure to take reasonable care to avoid causing foreseeable harm to others. When someone is negligent and causes an accident, they may be held responsible for the losses that they caused. A Wilmington personal injury lawyer can help you get the compensation you need to put your life back together.
What Types of Situations Can Give Rise to Personal Injury Claims in North Carolina?
Under personal injury law — also called tort law — a legal action can be brought by a Raleigh personal injury lawyer on behalf of an injured person (called the plaintiff) who is seeking damages for losses he or she suffered following the negligent or intentional act of another (the defendant). Situations that give rise to personal injury lawsuits in North Carolina are:
- Car Accidents– people who have been injured in car accidents often face a long road to recovery. And while the insurance company may seem like they are here to help, they ultimately want to pay as little on your claim as possible. Accident victims who don’t work with a Wilmington, personal injury lawyer may settle their claim for far less than it is worth, finding that they have losses that they will never be able to recover. With 40 years of experience in helping car accident victims, a Wilmington personal injury lawyer from our firm can help you get fair compensation for your claim.
- Truck Accidents– because of their size and weight, truck accidents are more likely to result in catastrophic injuries when compared to accidents involving private passenger vehicles. However, these accidents are complex for other reasons, namely the potential liability of the trucking company and other parties. Some of the common causes of truck accidents include mechanical failures, violations of trucking regulations, unsecured loads, and driver errors due to insufficient training and inadequate supervision. A Wilmington personal injury lawyer can help you untangle what happened so that you can get the compensation you need to rebuild your life.
- Boating Accidents– boaters have a legal duty to use due care when on the water. Unfortunately, this duty is often overlooked because there are no signs, lanes, or other visual reminders to help keep people safe. Add in the fact that many boaters are under the influence of drugs or alcohol and can quickly find themselves in a very dangerous situation. A negligent boat driver can cause an accident in the blink of an eye, leaving you with severe injuries and other losses. If you have been injured in a boating accident, a Wilmington personal injury lawyer can help you get fair compensation.
- Motorcycle Accidents– motorcyclists are especially vulnerable in the event of an accident. Unfortunately, they also face an unfair bias when they need to pursue a claim. A Wilmington personal injury lawyer can help you overcome this bias and any other challenges so that you can get the help you need to put your accident behind you.
- Bicycle, Scooter, and Pedestrian Accidents- motorists have a legal obligation to avoid accidents and share the road, an obligation that extends to pedestrians, bicyclists, and scooters. Despite public campaign efforts to the contrary, these accidents still happen all too frequently, typically resulting in severe injuries and sometimes death. In many cases, the driver flees the scene. A Wilmington personal injury lawyer can help you manage your claim so that you can focus on your recovery.
- Industrial Accidents, including Fires and Explosions– industrial accidents such as fires and explosions often result in very serious injuries involving multiple people. Determining the cause of the accident and who should be held accountable can be a significant challenge, especially for the victims. If you have been injured in an industrial accident, you need a Wilmington personal injury lawyer on your side. They can help you understand your options and make an informed decision so that you can get the compensation you need to rebuild your life.
- Construction Site Accidents, including Falls and Electrocutions- construction sites can be very dangerous places for their workers, and accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. A Wilmington personal injury lawyer can explain your options, whether you may have a personal injury claim, and help you navigate the workers’ comp benefit process.
- Certain Workplace Accidents- workers’ compensation is a vital safety net for our injured workers. If you have been injured on the job, workers’ comp can cover your medical expenses and replace up to two-thirds of your income. Unfortunately, the claim process isn’t easy to navigate, and claims are regularly denied. An experienced Wilmington personal injury lawyer who understands the workers’ comp system will be able to get you the benefits you need so that you can focus on getting better and back to work.
- Vicious Animal Attacks- animals should be under the control of their owners at all times. If you have been injured in an animal attack, you may be able to hold the animal’s owner or the property owner where the attack occurred liable for your injuries. The sooner you contact a Wilmington personal injury lawyer, the sooner they can help.
Injuries caused by healthcare providers and certain accidents and injuries that occur on the job, while also technically considered personal injury matters, are governed, in part, under additional laws and procedures, and we can explain to you those differences. Bringing medical malpractice claims and workers’ compensation claims requires separate considerations, and we discuss them in detail elsewhere on our website.
A Wilmington Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You Recover Compensation for Your Medical Expenses
If you’ve been injured in an accident, your first concern may be your medical bills. If you have health insurance, your medical expenses will be covered, except for your co-pays and deductible, which can be significant. If you don’t have health insurance, you will be responsible for paying all of your medical expenses out of pocket. Depending on the severity of your accident, the medical expenses alone could be devastating.
Whether you have health insurance or not, you should discuss your case with a Wilmington personal injury attorney if you think your injury was due to someone else’s negligence. An experienced attorney can review your case and help you understand your options.
A serious injury can also leave you unable to work for an extended period of time. You may be temporarily disabled or need to miss work for doctor’s appointments and physical therapy. The end result is that, on top of your medical bills, you may also be facing significant lost income. A serious accident can quickly become a crisis for you and your family.
How Much is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
Many non-lawyers settle their claim too quickly, only to discover that they have other losses and expenses that they can’t pay. A Wilmington personal injury lawyer can provide you with an estimate of what your claim may be worth based on the following components of your claim:
- Your medical bills
- Your lost income
- Your pain and suffering
- Any other losses or expenses caused by your accident
Under the law, you have the right to be “made whole.” The bottom line is that the value of your claim may be worth far more than just your medical expenses.
Do I Really Need a Wilmington Personal Injury Lawyer?
This is a question some folks ask only after they have given a statement that damages their claim or worse. There is nothing that prevents you from dealing with the insurance companies on your own, but there are plenty of practical reasons to work with an attorney who knows the law and will prevent you from falling into the traps that skilled insurance investigators sometimes seek to use.
The Right Wilmington Personal Injury Attorney Will Not Settle For Less Than Your Case is Worth
Establishing the defendant’s fault is just one aspect of bringing a successful personal injury case. Being able to prove the amount of damages — past, present, and future — that you are entitled to recover requires professional skill, knowledge and sometimes liability and damages expert witnesses.
A seasoned trial lawyer knows how to present evidence of loss through solid investigation and expert analysis and testimony. Your attorney will also know whether, along with compensatory damages, you could be entitled to punitive damages, which could be as much as $250,000, or three times your actual damages. Martin & Jones has a proven track record of success. The other side is well aware of our decades long reputation for fighting for our clients. They know that we will not back down if the case doesn’t settle for a fair amount.
We are ready, willing, and able to proceed to mediation and/or trial if that is the best course of action in your case. Having a Wilmington personal injury lawyer from Martin & Jones by your side can be a game changer when it comes to negotiating with insurance companies.
Wilmington Injury Lawsuit Timelines
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in North Carolina can vary per individual circumstances of each claim. This means that you must pursue your claim as soon as possible, so you don’t lose all of your rights. The sooner you speak with a Wilmington personal injury attorney, the sooner you can get the help you need.
Our Law Firm Also Handles Mesothelioma and Asbestos Claims
Although many types of asbestos have been banned in the United States since the 1980s, it’s important to remember that asbestos-related illnesses may not manifest themselves until 20 to 50 years after exposure. As a result, you may be at risk for mesothelioma or other respiratory diseases even if you haven’t worked with or been exposed to asbestos in decades.
Asbestos cases are complex, and your future is riding on the outcome. At Martin & Jones, we provide dedicated legal representation to make sure that you and your family get the compensation you need.
Talk to a Wilmington Personal Injury Attorney at North Carolina Law Firm, Martin & Jones, Today
Founded in 1982, the personal injury attorneys at Martin & Jones have helped thousands of accident victims across North Carolina. If you’ve been injured and would like to discuss your case with an experienced Wilmington personal injury lawyer, contact us at 800-662-1234 to schedule a free consultation.
Wilmington Office Location
1213 Culbreth Drive
Wilmington, NC 28405
Toll Free: 800-662-1234