Skip to Content

Get Your FREE Consultation


How much insurance should you have?

Most of us do not think about the amount of insurance we have and certainly not how much insurance someone else has – until we need it. There are several types of insurance that you can purchase for your automobile: liability, collision, comprehension, medical payments, uninsured, and underinsured.

North Carolina law requires you to have liability insurance. Everyone must have minimum liability insurance coverage of $30,000 per person up to $60,000 per accident. Liability insurance pays anyone hurt or damaged as a result of your negligence up to the policy limits.

Other types of insurance are voluntary. Collision coverage pays you for your damages when you are negligent. If a claim is made under liability or collision insurance, your insurance premiums will increase. Comprehensive coverage reimburses you for property damage due to a true accident, such as a tree falling on your car. Medical payments coverage reimburses you and anyone in your vehicle for medical expenses up to the coverage limits. Uninsured motorist coverage pays you if a negligent driver injures or damages you and does not have any liability insurance. Underinsured motorist coverage pays you if the negligent driver does not have enough liability insurance. If you make a claim under comprehensive, medical payments, uninsured, or underinsured motorist, your insurance does not go up. As you can see, your insurance premiums do not increase if you or someone driving your vehicle is not at fault.

On an annual basis, sit down with your insurance agent and review your policy coverages. Ask questions about how much coverage is needed and how much it costs. Always ask what the insurance company is charging new customers for the same coverage. Many times insurance companies charge new customers less than long-time customers. Their statistics show that if they get you signed on, odds are you will never leave.

We recommend that you have a minimum of $100,000 in liability, uninsured and underinsured coverage. You should also have at least $5,000 in medical payments coverage. The increased liability coverage protects your assets. The increased uninsured and underinsured will protect you, your passenger and your family members from uninsured and underinsured drivers.

To understand more about automobile insurance, check out this guide from the North Carolina Department of Insurance.

No Win, No Fee

Review Us

Martin & Jones, PLLC logo

“Thank you for your concern of my well-being every time I spoke with you. It always meant so much. I hear nothing but awful stories of dealing with attorneys and their offices, but I have had nothing but positive experience. You have many special ways of working with people in need of help. Words can never express the way your support has been so helpful. I pray you will continue to help others. I wish you all the best.”

Contact Our North Carolina Personal Injury Law Firm

for a Consultation for Your Accident or Medical Malpractice Claim

Call us at 800-662-1234
No Win, No Fee

The law firm you choose makes a difference. If you are the victim of an accident or an illness that someone else caused, the North Carolina personal injury law firm of Martin & Jones has the depth of experience, skills and sensitivity to make your road to recovery as smooth as possible. Whether you have experience with the legal system or have never hired a medical malpractice or personal injury lawyer before, our attorneys and staff will do our best to answer your questions, provide clear advice and prepare you and your family for what to expect. If you would like more information or to meet with one of our attorneys, please fill out the form below or call us at 800.662.1234.